Home Sport BUCS: Impressive Derby-Day Win for Women’s Futsal 1s

BUCS: Impressive Derby-Day Win for Women’s Futsal 1s

Ceri Vaughan-Jones, Online Sport Editor, summarises the events from the Women's Futsal 1s' derby-day victory over the 2s.
University of Exeter Women's Futsal 1s vs. 2s
Women’s Futsal 1s (green) vs. 2s (white) at the Sports Park
Image: Emma Masters, University of Exeter Women’s Futsal

The Women’s Futsal 1s asserted their dominance over the 2s with a comfortable 10-5 win to claim the derby-day bragging rights ahead of the Christmas break.

Two Exeter teams playing each other is always a special occasion, with both sets of players eager to show their friends what they are capable of. However, even more fuel was added to the fire upon considering the league positions of both teams coming into the game. The 1s were top of the table while the 2s trailed them in second place, desperate to cut the 5-point gap. A top-of-the-table, derby-day clash; there was a lot at stake. It’s safe to say that expectations were high.

And the game did not disappoint.

Racing out of the starting blocks, the 1s took an early lead through Lily Rockwell. The ball was floated into the centre, where Rockwell capitalised on some defensive uncertainty to slot past the 2s’ goalkeeper. No more than 60 seconds later, the lead was doubled, Poppy Kelly burying her free kick. 2-0 within two minutes; ominous signs for the 2s. 

The 1s raced out of the blocks. 2-0 within two minutes; ominous signs for the 2s.

Despite this, they dusted themselves off and looked for a way back into the game. In the 7th minute, the deficit was halved courtesy of a Summer Kyle thunderbolt. The very definition of top corner. Trailing 2-1 clearly not enough for the 2s, they grew in confidence and were soon back on level terms. Following a short corner, the ball was worked to Alice Hooton, who made no mistake with the finish. Back in the game.

However, the 2s’ hard work was quickly undone as the 1s restamped their authority on the game. A brilliant piece of individual skill by Zoe Johnson, later named Player of the Match, and a composed Mia Le Stravi finish created two goals in quick succession for the 1s and broke the 2s’ resilient defence. With the two-goal cushion restored, it seemed a long way back. 

To make matters even worse for the 2s, the 1s started to gain a foothold on the game, racing into a 5-goal lead within 20 minutes. It could be argued that these three goals came under slightly unfortunate circumstances from the 2s’ perspective. Emilia Rahaus scored twice from long-range. Taking nothing away from her clinical finishing ability, she fired powerful shots through several bodies and slight deflections took the ball past the helpless goalkeeper and into the back of the net. In the middle of Rahaus’s brace, Rockwell claimed her second of the game. A dangerous ball was crossed into the middle before an unfortunate ricochet among the defenders left Rockwell with a simple finish. Be it unlucky or not, there are no pictures on the scorecard.

Despite being 7-2 down, the 2s were not to be disheartened and their resilience soon paid dividends. Hooton, having scored earlier in the game, was determined to give her side hope and added two more to her tally to complete a first-half hat-trick. 7-4 at the break, but the game by no means over.

Emilia Rahaus, University of Exeter 1s vs. 2s
1s Captain Emilia Rahaus (right) celebrating one of her goals

After a frantic end-to-end first half that included 11 goals, the 1s looked to calm things down after the break. A Chloe Whitworth goal early in the second half settled the nerves before the 2s hit back instantly through Amelia Jenkins. She did well to win the ball back for her side before unleashing an unstoppable half-volley into the top corner. A simply superb strike!

The final goal of the game came courtesy of some incredible individual skill. A rainbow flick was followed by a Cruyff turn before Whitworth guided the ball into the back of the net.

Trailing by three goals, the miraculous comeback was not to be as the 1s slowed the game down; their defence and midfield did well to control the tempo of the second half. Starving the 2s of possession and chances, the result was secured when Kelly’s speculative effort found the back of the net. This was her second of the game, and Whitworth soon followed suit, making the score 10-5 late on. That was the final goal of the game, and it came courtesy of some incredible individual skill. A rainbow flick was followed by a Cruyff turn before Whitworth guided the ball into the back of the net. A truly magical goal.

On the balance of play, 10-5 seemed a little harsh on the 2s, who fought hard from start to finish despite the inevitable expectations in the 1s’ camp. Their effort must be given credit, especially when considering that only one member of their squad played futsal last year. 

However, ultimately the 1s were too strong and they definitely showed their class and dominance. The bragging rights will remain with the 1s for now as they extend their lead at the top of the table. Meanwhile, the 2s drop down to fourth ahead of a trip to Gloucestershire on the 27th of January. The 1s face Plymouth Marjon at home in an important fixture on the same day, having lost to them earlier in the season.

To listen to Xpression FM’s live commentary of the game, please click here.

If you are interested in following the women’s futsal teams, their Instagram account can be found here.

Match details:

University of Exeter Women’s Futsal 1s 10-5 University of Exeter Women’s Futsal 2s

1s: H Nukui, E Pearce, C Whitworth, C Coakley, L Rockwell, C West, H O’Neill, L Pinker, E Rahaus (C), P Kelly, Z Johnson, M Le Stavri, H Reid.

Goal scorers: L Rockwell (2), P Kelly (2), Z Johnson, M Le Stavri, E Rahaus (2), C Whitworth (2).

Player of the Match: Z Johnson.

2s: A Hooton, S Kyle (C), B Plummer, E Price, E Bridge, M Davies, M Sidhu, M Smith, A Jenkins, G Lukas, V Mascarenhas De Macedo.

Goal scorers: S Kyle, A Hooton (3), A Jenkins.

Player of the Match: A Hooton.