Home Comment The best place to live in Exeter

The best place to live in Exeter

Online Sports Editor Ceri Vaughan-Jones examines the best place to live in Exeter- an essential guide for prospective renters!
Image: Lina Kivaka via Pexels.

Ah, location, location, location. It’s incredible what an extra ten minutes of walking distance does to the rent. Whilst the majority of students will of course crave a house on Pennsylvania or Union Road so that they can get out of bed at the latest possible moment, fear not if you end up living slightly further away from campus.

It’s incredible what an extra ten minutes of walking distance does to the rent.

During my second year of study, I lived on Blackboy Road, right on the border between St James’ and Polsloe – an approximate 20-minute walk to the bottom of Forum Hill, but only 15 if I was in a rush! Slightly sceptical at first, I found many more benefits than just a £20 a week discount.

Peace and quiet

Yes, that’s right, it was very quiet! While Blackboy Road may be a main road, it certainly didn’t feel like it. Perfect for a good night’s rest, if there is such thing as a student! Being slightly out of the way, there were no convoys of freshers returning to Lafrowda, as is the case on Penny Road. We also did not have any issues with rubbish being scattered all over the pavement – one of Springfield’s worst traits.

Yes, that’s right, it was very quiet! While Blackboy Road may be a main road, it certainly didn’t feel like it.

Shopping convenience

Being adjacent to the luxury of Sidwell Street does have some perks, such as Tesco Express. However, if this doesn’t take your fancy, we had a two-minute walk to the Old Tiv co-op through our backdoor or an equidistant Premier on Pinhoe Rd. Spoilt for choice!

Henry’s Bar

No need to explain this one. Who doesn’t love a Henry’s pub quiz or the 3-for-£11 casino chips? Living five doors down, it seemed rude not to be regular!

St James’ Park

You may be thinking that I’m referring to the train station, which of course was very useful to have nearby, but I was far more interested in the football stadium! Blackboy Road is well positioned to give you a very short walk to the Big Bank to watch the mighty Exeter City!

Belmont Park

Having a nice green area across the road was a real bonus. Coming from the countryside, I enjoyed spending time in Belmont Park to escape the city feeling. I spent countless hours there, especially during the summer term, kicking a ball back and forth. Endless enjoyment. It’s a simple life!

Where you choose to live is obviously a very personal choice; everyone has their individual priorities. But Blackboy Road turned out great! Perhaps this area is worth considering before overpaying to be a resident on Vic Street?