Home Comment Why choose to live with friends?

Why choose to live with friends?

Agata Koralewska reminisces on her experiences living with a group of friends at University- and encourages you to consider doing the same.

The ridiculous state of the Exeter housing market means that, as early as in October of your first year, the
search for a second-year house madness starts. There are various possibilities for who you could live
with: friends that you made during your university time, going into private student accommodation
or even living alone. There is something liberating in living with people that you have never met
before. However, sometimes it is better to go with someone you trust and avoid unpleasant
surprises.

My second year housing experience has been a little bit chaotic and stressful at first. Many of my
friends from my first year accomodation chose their house groups early on and my choice of
housemates to live with quickly became limited. My other friends, who lived somewhere else, have
also struggled to form a group in their flat, meaning that I was lucky enough to join them and we
formed a small group of three people. We struggled to find the right place to live, as the houses were
going quickly and most options were available to bigger groups. But in the end, we settled for a flat
that was close to the city centre and Streatham Campus.

We struggled to find the right place to live, as the houses were
going quickly and most options were available to bigger groups.

Sharing an apartment with a small group of friends was the perfect option for me. As we were only
three girls, it was easier to bond and be more involved in each other´s lives than when I stayed
in a student accomodation, where I haven’t talked to some people as often. We studied together,
went out together and had fun together. We quickly started to make inside jokes that only we would
understand and we definitely became much closer than in first year. It was also convenient to have
my friends close when having a bad day. Reflecting back on it, it was so different than my time
in halls. But in a good way. First year has been the appropriate time to hang out with new people and
befriend them, second year was more about deepening the connections already made.

Reflecting back on it, it was so different than my time
in halls. But in a good way.

I would recommend living with your friends because it makes your university house feel more like a
home. Of course, there are disagreements sometimes (mostly associated with cleaning or cooking)
but if you live with friends you can learn to compromise and grow your bond even stronger. It is a
very reassuring option as deciding to live with people you do not know can cause you additional
stress. Reflecting on my living situation in my second year, I made a lot of memories and I would
recommend living with friends to anyone that wants to have a very fun and balanced university life.