Home NewsNational News PM Sunak’s Cabinet Reshuffle

PM Sunak’s Cabinet Reshuffle

Rosie Peters-McDonald writes about Rishi Sunak's Cabinet Reshuffle, one of the last major developments in UK national politics from 2023.
Image: Number 10 via Wikimedia Commons

In November the Prime Minister announced a cabinet reshuffle, leaving much of the British public equal parts surprised and unenthused. The most shocking revelation was the return of David Cameron: avoiding a clip of two of Sky News journalists’ shocked reaction as Cameron emerged from a car on Downing Street became an impossible task for any of us with social media. Their exclamation of surprise was followed by unanimous confusion across the country, with many asking how someone who isn’t an MP can be appointed.

Replacing Braverman as Home Secretary is James Cleverly

Suella Braverman’s sacking was followed by a ruthless letter to the Prime Minister, in which she aired several issues she had with Sunak’s governance and particularly his treatment of the Rwanda deal, stating that he has ‘manifestly and repeatedly failed to deliver on … key policies.’ After such a slandering it is likely that Sunak’s cabinet reshuffle will attempt to renew order and integrity on the front bench. Replacing Braverman as Home Secretary is James Cleverly, whose familiarity with the front bench dates to his role as Foreign Secretary under Truss’s leadership, a role he retained when the baton was passed over to Sunak. Upon his appointment as Home Secretary, however, he was almost immediately accused of unparliamentary behaviour for his alleged derogatory response to a question asked by Stockton-on-Tees’ MP Alex Cunningham in Parliament, warranting accusations of classism. Cleverly denies having insulted Stockton-on-Tees but has admitted to insulting Cunningham, attempting to swerve the accusation. It’s safe to say his first month in the office has not been as smooth sailing as he might have liked.

Replacing Cleverly as Foreign Secretary is – most surprisingly – David Cameron.

Replacing Cleverly as Foreign Secretary is – most surprisingly – David Cameron. Cameron is unarguably experienced in diplomacy, but it’s also fair to say his track record was damaged after he instigated the Brexit referendum and resigned when he lost his campaign. In the more recent past Cameron has also come under fire in a lobbying scandal, scuffing his reputation further. The most confusing element of Cameron’s appointment is that he is not actually an MP but was given peerage and inducted into the House of Lords this month, causing further controversy. Many have questioned the fact that an (in this case unelected) Prime Minister has the authority to introduce someone to the legislature without necessitating any level of backing from the public.

Other changes to the cabinet include Victoria Atkins as Health Secretary, replacing Steve Barclay as he moves to lead as Environment Secretary. Esther McVey….was handed the role of Minister of State at Cabinet Office

Other changes to the cabinet include Victoria Atkins as Health Secretary, replacing Steve Barclay as he moves to lead as Environment Secretary. Esther McVey, GB news presenter and former work and pensions secretary, was handed the role of Minister of State at Cabinet Office, or, as some are calling it, ‘Common Sense Tsar’. Her role will involve, according to the Sun, ‘tackling the scourge of wokery’. Some parts of the cabinet have remained as they were: the likes of Jeremy Hunt and Michael Gove retain their roles respectively as chancellor and Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities.