Home Music New Releases: Liam Gallagher & John Squire

New Releases: Liam Gallagher & John Squire

Zandie Howells reviews the new singles from Liam Gallagher and John Squire's much-awaited collaboration album.
Image: Flickr via Pablo Escopetas

March 1st sees the release of the highly anticipated album from the collaboration of two of Manchester’s greatest products, no not Phil Foden and Marcus Rashford remixing “It’s Coming Home”, but Liam Gallagher, once the front man of Oasis, and John Squire, once the guitarist for The Stone Roses. The album has brought a lot of excitement amongst rock fans, but with that comes a hope that it will reach the soaring heights that the duo’s former bands once hit, particularly Gallagher’s Oasis who took the UK music scene by storm in the 90s.

So far, we have received the track list to the album, with two songs having been released as a teaser. The first, “Just Another Rainbow”, instantly displays the famous Liam Gallagher snarl, before giving Squire his moment to shine with a lengthy guitar solo. The lyrics are, in the kindest way, strange, especially Gallagher’s recital of the colours of the rainbow which I can only hope will now be used to teach primary school children (move over Richard of York, you have had your time). The second, and in my opinion superior, track is “Mars to Liverpool”. Again the lyrics are kind of random, but the melody is far more reminiscent of Oasis in their prime, and who can ignore the instant classic line – “can anybody get me from Mars to Liverpool?” – I am sure Jurgen Klopp has asked the bus driver that same question after a particularly harrowing Thursday night game in the Europa League.

The album has brought a lot of excitement amongst rock fans, but with that comes a hope that it will reach the soaring heights that the duo’s former bands once hit.

The rest of the track names also offer an interesting insight into the album – “Raise Your Hands”(oh I will), “I’m a Wheel” (erm you’re not), “Love You Forever” (oh I do Liam) and “Make It Up as You Go Along”(I really hope you aren’t).

Anyway, be ready for March 1st, as in Liam’s own words, this one is going to be mega…