Home Music Turning the Lights Back On

Turning the Lights Back On

Tabitha John discusses Billy Joel's return to music following the recent release of his single, "Turn the Lights Back On."
Image: Flickr via Ryan Olbrysh

In light of the release of his latest song, “Turn the Lights Back On”, Billy Joel, aka “Piano Man”, has offered his audiences a blast from the past wrought with the same powerful emotion that the singer has built his career upon. As Billy Joel sings his heart out at the piano, the music video takes us on a journey through time, and for those old enough to remember, he greets us with the faces of his younger selves, adding nostalgia and melancholy to his lyrics.  

If you enjoy or have at least heard of The Beatles, Ray Charles, or Jimi Hendrix, it is more than likely you have encountered Billy Joel, especially if we consider that he cites them as some of his biggest influences. However, if you feel you are not up to scratch, pull up a chair and let the piano man play you a memory. 

Inspired by his father’s own piano skills, according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Billy Joel spent many years avoiding the pitfalls of the pop-star persona, describing him as a “determinedly average guy”, betraying the extent of his chart-topping career. In fact, throughout his career, he would write 33 ‘Top 40’ hits in the US, with three topping the charts at number one, including “We Didn’t Start the Fire” and “It’s Still Rock and Roll to Me.” It is therefore unsurprising that he would receive 23 Grammy nominations and be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999. 

As Billy Joel sings his heart out at the piano, the music video takes us on a journey through time.

Yet, at the age of 74, after a hiatus of nearly 20 years, Billy Joel is proving that he still hasn’t lost his touch and will continue to make music that comes from the heart. So, if you are a seasoned fan or completely new to the scene, never forget that “Vienna waits for you.”