Exeter, Devon UK • Jul 27, 2024 • VOL XII

Home International Turkish Society at University of Exeter elects new President

Turkish Society at University of Exeter elects new President

Ibrahim Melih Polat writes about the eventful Turkish society election and its results
Image: Ibrahim Melih Polat

The Turkish society recently underwent a challenging yet remarkable election process. The electoral campaigns spearheaded by candidates Omer Bartu Siva and Yusuf Talha Yılmaz were characterized by fervent engagement and dedication. Ultimately, Yusuf Talha Yılmaz emerged victorious, securing the presidency.

In the aftermath of this historic election, I had the privilege of conducting an in-depth interview with President Yusuf Yılmaz. His enthusiasm about assuming the presidency was palpable as he expressed his profound excitement. He underscored the gravity of his responsibility, emphasizing his earnest belief that his vision for the future could propel the Turkish Society to greater heights. When prompted about his plans for the society, Yılmaz articulated a multifaceted approach aimed at fostering internationalization and inclusivity. Central to his agenda is the creation of an environment where every member feels not only welcomed but also valued. Moreover, he articulated his ambition to showcase the rich tapestry of Turkish culture in Exeter and to cultivate a sense of kinship among students who may be yearning for the familiarity of their homeland.

Yusuf Talha Yılmaz, a diligent student of Business and Management, elucidated his plans to extend support to society members through the facilitation of internships and business events. His goal is to equip fellow students with the tools necessary to navigate the competitive UK market successfully. Additionally, he pledged to establish robust connections with Turkish Societies across various universities in the UK, underpinning his commitment to fostering unity within the Turkish student community.

He pledged to establish robust connections with Turkish Societies across various universities in the UK, underpinning his commitment to fostering unity within the Turkish student community

Former President Eren Cecen also contributed his reflections on the recent election process, accentuating the significance of the unprecedented voter turnout and the pivotal role of new leadership in steering the society toward a prosperous future. Cecen’s tenure was marked by considerable growth in membership and active engagement in initiatives aimed at fortifying unity among Turkish communities, including founding the UK Turkish Student Societies Consortium and organizing events at the Embassy of Turkey in London.

Furthermore, the society’s altruistic endeavors were showcased through a successful fundraising campaign for earthquake victims in Turkey and Syria. The substantial sum of £10,000 raised underscores the collective compassion and solidarity of society members toward those affected by the tragic natural disaster.

With Yusuf Yılmaz at the helm, there is an aura of optimism permeating the society. Anticipation is high for a year filled with impactful events and initiatives that will undoubtedly leave an indelible mark on the Turkish community in Exeter and beyond.

As a former member of the committee, I would like to express my excitement about the spirit of diversity and inclusivity within our society. This ethos aligns closely with the ethics and values of our University, and I believe it will greatly benefit in conveying Turkish culture to international students.