Home Screen Review: Speak No Evil

Review: Speak No Evil

Online Music Editor, Zandie Howells, reviews the new thriller 'Speak No Evil'.
Speak No Evil | Official Trailer

Speak No Evil is an utterly uncomfortable and unsettling ride, a psychological thriller of destructive standards.

The film follows the holidays of two families, both of whom have decided to take a vacation to Italy. Louise and Ben Dalton and their daughter, Agnes, are Americans living in London, whereas Paddy and Ciara and their son, Ant, are from Southwest England. 

Here then is their first major difference – the Daltons embody the city life, well-functioned but often tired and rushed, yet Paddy and Ciara are far more free-spirited, reflected in the vast land and green space around their countryside cottage.  

When they meet, the Daltons are a bit tentative of engaging with Paddy’s relaxed lifestyle, but they slowly loosen up. In fact, when Paddy and Ciara then invite them to come and stay with them in England, Louise and Ben see it as an opportunity to escape from the strain of work in the city.

And yet not is all as it seems. Once the Daltons arrive at the cottage, they experience the true twisted world of Paddy and Ciara as the mystery slowly unravels…

I love how you are baited time and time again with tense moments that don’t always have a conclusion, as if you too are being slowly reeled in. 

James McAvoy is phenomenal. He embodies his role far too well; it is kind of scary. The manipulation and gaslighting from him and his wife and the severity and sheer audacity of some of their lies was unbelievable. Absolute psychos.

(I mean the real psycho was Louise for wearing socks in bed and jeans whilst swimming!! Like come on who does that seriously?)

I love how you are baited time and time again with tense moments that don’t always have a conclusion, as if you too are being slowly reeled in. It is clever craftmanship by director, James Watkins, and reflects the murderous game of cat and mouse played by the psychotic couple. 

The whole cast produces wonderful performances, particularly Mackenzie Davis as Louise, and this really makes the film, bringing alive so many different character dynamics and interactions. 

I really enjoyed the relationship of the two children, Agnes and Ant, without whom the mystery would never be solved. Ant’s story is heart-breaking, but his incredible bravery leads to a wonderful character arc, and all this emotion is captured so brilliantly by Alix West Lefler as Agnes too. 

But James McAvoy man, wow, performance of the year? Maybe. Absolutely, chillingly brilliant.