Home LifestyleCulture Pumpkins Pumpkins Pumpkins!

Pumpkins Pumpkins Pumpkins!

Print Sport Editor, Eloise Grainger, explores why pumpkins have become synonymous with this time of year.
2 minutes read
Image: Nik via Unsplash

Pumpkins have become an autumnal staple in many western cultures; from Halloween themed decorations to humble seasonal fruits (yes, really, a fruit, as it is a seed-bearing product)! The importance of pumpkins is historically tied to North American indigenous societies, and the oldest evidence of pumpkin fragments are found in Mexico, which have been dated back to around 7000-5550BC

What makes pumpkins so special around autumn time is their symbolism: they are seen as symbols of fertility, prosperity, transformation and growth because they are common and abundant autumnal crops. They are often harvested around October time and were one of the first crops that natives taught settlers to cultivate.  

They are seen as symbols of fertility, prosperity, transformation and growth because they are common and abundant autumnal crops.

Many Brits enjoy carving pumpkins in preparation for Halloween night on the 31st October, but there are many other ways to be creative with pumpkins and other squash species.  

Pumpkin painting for example has become more popular recently, with people being able to use a variety of colours and steer clear of using knives and sharp tools. Some create cute illustrations, such as pink ghosts floating on a white painted pumpkin, others might stick to the typical scary image that is common with Jack-O’-Lanterns.  

But let’s not forget that pumpkins are edible!! They can be transformed into a tasty, low calorie soup for example, which has a beautiful bright colour to it. Even the pumpkin seeds can be saved from the waste bin… they can be roasted and eaten as a healthy, crunchy snack, or they could be added to brownies or porridge for a Halloween inspired treat.  

It can be easy to fall into the same habits each autumn and simply carve another pumpkin whilst sipping pumpkin spice lattes, but why not try a different decorating technique this year. Become more eco-conscious too and repurpose both the pumpkin and its seeds by adding them to your foods. Not only do you eat more traditional and season foods, but it also adds variety to your diet and ensures less food enters the waste system.