Home Arts & Lit EUTCo’s ‘A Clockwork Orange’

EUTCo’s ‘A Clockwork Orange’

When: 17th – 20th January 2018 at 19:30

Where: Exeter Northcott Theatre

Tickets: £15 (concession £12)

Available from: https://exeternorthcott.co.uk/calendar/a-clockwork-orange/

A Clockwork Orange is an iconic story, most well known from Burgess’s original novel and Kubrick’s 1971 film. EUTCo’s 2018 production seeks to explore concepts of power and control both within the family unit and an external governing body. EUTCo’s bold and dynamic production uses elements of the original novel and combines physical theatre and live music. Set in an abandoned warehouse reminiscent of the 1960s, Alex and his Droogs wreak havoc and mayhem resulting in Alex’s imprisonment. After spending two years in prison Alex undergoes corrective treatment to cure his violent tendencies. How does he fit back into society and how does society respond to him? When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man.

Director of the show, Florrie Taylor, has said: “As a director I love working with physical theatre and live music and seeing how these two elements can come together to tell stories in visually dynamic and interesting ways. For this particular production I wanted to also incorporate elements of adaptation; as a company we have relied heavily upon the original novel as a basis for devising new scenes for the production itself, in order to give it depth and theatrical richness. Adding elements of the novel back into the script itself has meant that we have created a new production that will never before have been seen – something that is really exciting for us! Inspired by companies such as Headlong Theatre, Frantic Assembly and directors like Emma Rice, Marianne Elliott and Mike Shepherd, this production harbours creativity, musicality and physicality unlike any of EUTCo’s previous productions.”

Movement director, Hannah Simonds, added: “From a movement perspective this play has been a huge challenge, trying to show the violence has been the biggest obstacle to overcome. Therefore I aimed to construct a more stylised version of physical fighting, creating a more dynamic, interesting and theatrical way of portraying gang fights. It has been great to pair the music and movement so closely to create the best possible effect.”

This is not to be missed…