Home Music ‘Our fans are incredible’: An Interview with Of Mice and Men’s Aaron Pauley

‘Our fans are incredible’: An Interview with Of Mice and Men’s Aaron Pauley

Ahead of their upcoming fifth album, Defy, out 19th January on Rise Records, vocalist and bassist Aaron Pauley from Of Mice and Men gives his thoughts on Chester Bennington, the Foo Fighters and more…

Firstly, what was the recording process with Howard Benson like?

Howard and his team were incredible. They worked tirelessly to help us create this album – one that’s very true to our live sound.

I really enjoyed your cover of Pink Floyd’s ‘Money’, it was a very pleasant surprise. What made you decide to cover that song?

It was literally decided the day we did it, on a whim. We had extra time in the studio so Howard suggested we do a cover. That was one of the first songs suggested, and the rest is history!

Which new song are you most excited for fans to hear on the upcoming tour, and why?

Hmm, definitely ‘Defy’. That song is a banger!

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvpK0sfq2ck&w=560&h=315]

You’re being supported by some amazing bands on the next couple tours – if you could tour with any band that you haven’t toured with yet, who would it be and why?

Definitely Foo Fighters because who doesn’t love the Foo Fighters!

What’s been your favourite country to tour outside of the States?

Every country has something different to offer, so it’s hard to pick a favourite. But some at the top of the list have to be Japan and Australia.

Which up-and-coming band would you recommend fans gave a listen to?

I’ve been listening to a lot of [Australian nu-metal band] Ocean Grove lately.

The album closer ‘If We Were Ghosts’ is a tribute to the late Chester Bennington of Linkin Park – what were your thoughts on the huge tribute concert last year?

I wish we could have been there. We finished on stage, and went to the bus immediately to watch it.

Finally – you’ve said you wrote this record with fans and live shows in mind. What have been some of your best or strangest experiences with fans?

Our fans are incredible. Meeting people around the world who connect so intensely to our music is one of the best gifts music has ever given me.