Home News Fifth of people experiencing mental health issues due to COVID-19, Exeter research finds

Fifth of people experiencing mental health issues due to COVID-19, Exeter research finds

Image: pixabay

A new survey has found that a fifth of people have experienced mental health issues and a third are feeling isolated as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The survey, run by the University of Exeter and ORB International, recorded the answers of 5,000 people living in England. A quarter of women reported experiencing mental health issues because of coronavirus, as well as 15 per cent of men.

Alongside the clear effect the pandemic has had on mental health throughout the country, the survey also suggests that it has deepened social inequalities. Eight per cent of participants reported they were struggling to pay their mortgage or rent, and a further 13 per cent had issues maintaining their weekly budget. Ten per cent of people taking part in the survey had lost their job or job security.

Eight per cent of participants reported they were struggling to pay their mortgage or rent, and a further 13 per cent had issues maintaining their weekly budget. Ten per cent of people taking part in the survey had lost their job or job security.

The research also revealed a link between mental health issues and the voting habits of the surveyed population. People who voted remain or Labour were more likely to experience mental health issues in comparison with those voting leave or Conservative. 26 per cent of Labour voters reported this in comparison with 13 per cent of Conservative voters.

Exeter University’s Professor Dan Stevens led the survey, and he said, “the research is further evidence COVID-19 is a virus which does discriminate.” With 64 per cent of participants agreeing it has been worse for ethnic minorities and poor people, the survey suggests that the pandemic has only exacerbated social disparities.

Editor: Ella Shadwell