Home LifestyleCulture Love is all around me

Love is all around me

Millie Jewry celebrates the focus on self-love this Valentine's Day

Love is all around me

Shaira Dela Peña, Unsplash

Millie Jewry celebrates the focus on self-love this Valentine’s Day

On first sight, Valentine’s Day is a celebration of love between two people. From a young age we see images of hearts and red roses, teddy bears and ‘meal-for-two’ deals popping up in almost every shop during the build-up to 14 February. However, Saint Valentine represents love in general, not just in the romantic sense. Familial love, the love between an owner and pet, along with the love one directs inward are often neglected as we seek out that breath-taking romance for Valentine’s Day. Use this Valentine’s Day as an excuse to show yourself the love you deserve. Here are my suggestions:

Beautification– The first step to making yourself feel loved is beautification. This includes anything that you can do that makes you feel and look more beautiful to yourself. I always like to take a long bubble bath, shave, and do a face and hair mask. I also take this time to paint my nails and put on clothes in the colours that suits me. I find I’m always happier in pinks and blues but if black is your colour, go for it! If you want to, you can also put on some makeup. Remember that, first and foremost, makeup is a great creative outlet, so this is the perfect opportunity to experiment.

Do an activity you love- Focus on relaxing activities that put a smile on your face. Reading a fiction book, separate from any required university reading, is a great way to take some time for yourself (‘A Court of Thorns and Roses’ by Sarah J. Maas is my recommendation if you’re stuck for ideas!) However, if fiction isn’t your thing, a self-help book, like ‘Good Vibes, Good Life’ by Rex King, is a great option. If you want some time away from books completely, you can always watch a film, try some yoga, or put your headphones on and dance to your favourite songs– it’s even more effective if you sing as well!

Feed your soul-I love food. When I cook whatever food I’m craving, my entire being feels the love, so I can wholeheartedly recommend you do the same. Either cook your favourite meal, or try something new. Check out some of our recipes on the Lifestyle page for some inspiration.

Buy yourself those flowers– Putting flowers in your room is a great way to introduce a visual reminder to love yourself. However, this doesn’t always have to be actual flowers. If you see something that you’d want to be given by a romantic partner for Valentines, buy it. Why not?

Make your environment lovable- To mentally embrace self-love, try writing down five things that you love about yourself. Then, make your surroundings worthy of someone who deserves such love! You can change your bedsheets, light candles, put up fair lights to relax, and put on your favourite music.

Self-love in the more literal sense– Sex is a rather large part of the Valentine’s Day tradition, if you don’t have a partner, pleasure yourself. It raises your mood and makes you feel more confident, it’s one of the ultimate displays of self-love.

Whether you are single or in a relationship, whatever the season, showing self-love should always be a priority. Don’t wait until next Valentine’s Day to put yourself first again.