Home News EXCLUSIVE: Starbucks to replace Forum Costa

EXCLUSIVE: Starbucks to replace Forum Costa

A University spokesperson has told Exeposé that "Cobra Coffee [...] will be bringing their Starbucks franchise to the Forum building."

Image: Sorin Sîrbu via Unsplash

A University spokesperson has told Exeposé that “Cobra Coffee, owned by the Southern Co-operative, will be bringing their Starbucks franchise to the Forum building on the Streatham Campus.”

“As winners of the prestigious Queen’s Award for Enterprise in Sustainability 2022,” they added, “the partnership aligns with the University’s 2030 Strategy to create a more sustainable future.”

Speaking to Exeposé, some students have expressed their disappointment when finding out about Costa’s closure, stating that they were “upset”, “devastated” and “gutted”. Others worried that “the Pret queue will be even bigger”.

Empty Forum outlet that Starbucks will occupy
Empty Forum outlet that Starbucks will occupy. Image: Sam Hampshire

No official reason has yet been given as to why Costa decided not to renew their ten-year lease. When asked for comment on their outlet’s closure, Costa said: “We can confirm that the Costa Coffee store situated in the University of Exeter Forum closed on Friday 22 April and all team members were offered positions at nearby Costa Coffee stores.”

“Members of the local community can visit a number of other Costa Coffee stores located in the Exeter area or grab their favourite Costa coffee via one of our Costa Express machines. Customers can also visit the store locator page on the Costa Coffee website to find their nearest store.”

A University spokesperson also confirmed that “the opening date for the new outlet will be announced soon.”