Home News Exeter University appoints new deputy vice-chancellor for global engagement

Exeter University appoints new deputy vice-chancellor for global engagement

Professor Richard Follett will join the University of Exeter as the new Deputy Vice Chancellor for Global Engagement from January 2023.

Image: Wikimedia Commons

He will be taking over from Professor Mark Goodwin, who has been in the position for 10 years and will be stepping down in December 2022. Follett will lead the development and delivery of Exeter’s Global Strategy, and his responsibilities will involve maintaining an overview of issues including student recruitment and admissions, global experiences for staff and students, establishing and leading relationships with key global partners, and engaging alumni based across the globe.

His expertise, experience and insight will help us to take our the next big step to becoming a truly global University

Vice Chancellor Lisa Roberts

Professor Follett will join Exeter from the University of Sussex, where he has held the role of Deputy Pro Vice Chancellor and Associate Vice President (International) since 2018 and has been responsible for international activities, overseeing global education, research, and knowledge sharing partnerships. 

Follett is also a Professor of American History, specialising in the history of African American slavery in the United States and Caribbean. He gained his BA from the University of Wales, Swansea, and undertook a doctorate at Louisiana State University, where he was a Fulbright Scholar. 

Vice-Chancellor Lisa Roberts commented: “I am delighted to be welcoming Professor Follett to the University of Exeter as Deputy Vice Chancellor (Global Engagement) where his expertise, experience and insight will help us to take our the next big step to becoming a truly global University, offering outstanding education and research opportunities for our communities, and creating strong partnerships to tackle the world’s biggest challenges.”