Home NewsLocal News Exeter residents come together for Remembrance Day

Exeter residents come together for Remembrance Day

Exeter residents came together on Sunday 13th November to remember all those who served and lost their lives as part of the British and Commonwealth Armed Forces because of conflict or terrorism.

Image: Wikimedia Commons

This year’s Remembrance events had a special focus on the Falklands War, to mark its 40th anniversary. The war was ten-weeks of conflict between Argentina and the United Kingdom. 255 British personnel lost their lives defending the Falklands.

On Friday 11th November, an Armistice Day Service took place at the Higher Cemetery in Exeter, which remembers 219 First World War burials. The main service took place at the Second World War plot which remembers a further 121 burials.

A Service of Remembrance took place on the Sunday at the War Memorial in Northernhay Gardens.

The University of Exeter’s chapel choir performed before the service and during the hymns. The Salvation Army Band also attended the service. 

Members of the public, including Exeter students, were also able to place poppies and wreaths upon the memorial. 

With the War Memorial nearby to students, those who wish to can continue to pay their respects by visiting the memorial when passing by. 

Those who fought in war can also be remembered online, via the Commonwealth War Graves website.