Home News UCU announces dates for 18 days of strike action

UCU announces dates for 18 days of strike action

The University and College Union (UCU) has released the dates for their 18 days of strike action. Over 70,000 staff across 150 UK universities will be taking part in industrial action during February and March.

Image: Nick Efford

The 18 days of strike action will take place over the next 8 weeks. Strike action will take place on the following days:

Week 1: Wednesday 1st February

Week 2: Thursday 9 and Friday 10 February

Week 3: Tuesday 14, Wednesday 15 and Thursday 16 February

Week 4: Tuesday 21, Wednesday 22 and Thursday 23 February

Week 5: Monday 27 and Tuesday 28 February and Wednesday 1 and Thursday 2 March

There will be no action in the week of Monday 6th March.

Week 6: Thursday 16 and Friday 17 March

Week 7: Monday 20, Tuesday 21 and Wednesday 22 March

The UCU has said they have been offered a pay rise of between 4% and 5%, but that the offer is not enough.

UCU general secretary Jo Grady said: “Today our union came together to back an unprecedented programme of escalating strike action. The clock is now ticking for the sector to produce a deal or be hit with widespread disruption throughout spring.

“University staff dedicate their lives to education and they want to get back to work, but that will only happen if university vice-chancellors use the vast wealth of the sector to address over a decade of falling pay, rampant insecure employment practices and devastating pension cuts. The choice is theirs.”

It is not a guarantee that all 18 days of strike action will go ahead: that is dependent on if a suitable compromise is reached.