Home LifestyleFood Shake it Off: Cocktail Version

Shake it Off: Cocktail Version

Helena Hughes shares her favorite easy cocktail recipes perfect for the summer.

Shake it Off: Cocktail Version

Image: Unsplash via Freerange Stock

Helena Hughes shares her favourite easy cocktail recipes perfect for the summer.

I am a strong believer that the best cocktails (and mocktails!) are the ones that take almost no effort, but everyone thinks are cool (and naturally taste amazing) so below is my guide to no-equipment cocktails (so we can leave the shaking to Taylor and the dance-floor!). With the Barbie and Oppenheimer cinema boom, here are my picks for some drinks you can make to pre for the cinema (to bring party vibes on a budget!) 

All the equipment you need for the following base drink recipes are a regular glass, a shot glass, a knife and a spoon. 

Barbie – Pink Paloma  

1. Add two shots of tequila to a regular glass filled with ice  
  2. Top with grapefruit juice nearly to the top of the glass  
  3. Slice a lime in half and squeeze it into the drink  
  4. Optional garnish: take the other half of the lime, slice vertically (so you have a quarter of a lime) then add a horizontal slash and add to the side of the glass  

Note: if this is too strong for you feel free to have a little less grapefruit and top it with sparkling water instead  

Oppenheimer – Atomic Whiskey Highball  

1. Add four shots of whiskey to a glass filled with ice – tip: take a long spoon and stir to activate the flavour of the whiskey
  2. Fill the rest of the glass with sparkling water
  3. Add a squeeze of lemon
  4. Add a sprinkle of ground black pepper (or chilli if you want a truly Oppenheimer-esque experience) 
  5. Optional Garnish: take a potato peeler to the side of the lemon and take a slice of peel, remove as much white pith as possible with a knife, twist the peel to create a spiral and drop it into the glass   

Disney’s Haunted Mansion – Bloody Good Mocktail 

1. Pour a shot glass worth of grenadine into a regular glass  
  2. Gently tilt the large glass to pour orange juice down the side (this way the juice will sit on top of the grenadine!) 
  3. Fill to the brim with orange juice! 
  4. Optional: Add a slice of orange to the side of the glass for some extra summer vibes