Home NewsLocal News Devon People Smuggling Investigation: Two Men Arrested

Devon People Smuggling Investigation: Two Men Arrested

Online Deputy Editor, Ewan Edwards, writes on the recent people smuggling investigation in Devon.
Image: Matt Buck via Wikimedia Commons

On the 15th of June 2022, an incident unfolded on Slapton Sands, as at least 10 migrants were observed sprinting from the beach and boarding awaiting cars. The aftermath of this event has seen Tony Williams, a 58-year-old, charged with the facilitation of illegal immigration. His sentencing is scheduled for the 30th of October at the Exeter Crown Court. 

Subsequently, a second individual has been apprehended in connection to the same offense, where migrants were reportedly transported from Normandy to Slapton Sands via a pleasure boat. The National Crime Agency (NCA) has undertaken comprehensive investigations to combat the rising tide of crime associated with illegal immigration.

“Tackling organised immigration crime continues to be a priority for the National Crime Agency and we will work with partners in the UK and overseas to target crime groups at every step of the route”, an NCA spokesperson states on their website.  

Tackling organised immigration crime continues to be a priority for the National Crime Agency

NCA spokesperson

The NCA and Home Office have been actively forming agreements with major social media players like TikTok, Meta, and X (formerly Twitter) to curb organised crime’s ability to promote their illicit services. According to Robert Jenrick, the Minister for Immigration, there’s a clear expectation for these social media giants to persist in their collaboration with the government. The goal is to swiftly remove posts linked to people. It’s a collective effort to keep the digital landscape free from the influence of criminal entities and ensure a safer online environment. 

Illegal channel crossings have shown an escalating trend since 2018, marking a concerning challenge for authorities. The inherent nature of illegal immigration makes it a challenge to accurately record the number of migrants landing in the UK. Despite governmental assurances to “stop the boats,” the immigration crisis in Europe remains a complex issue. 

Despite governmental assurances to “stop the boats,” the immigration crisis in Europe remains a complex issue

In an attempt to deter potential immigrants, the government proposed the Rwanda plan, envisioning the processing and housing of illegal immigrants in Rwanda, denying them access to the UK. This initiative was ruled as unlawful by the Court of Appeal in June.  

Another strategy involved housing migrants on the Bibby Stockholm, a barge designed to accommodate up to 500 individuals as an alternative to mainland hotels. The limited capacity of the barge, however, contrasts sharply with the daily influx of migrants. The Bibby Stockholm has encountered challenges ranging from local protests to a legionella outbreak in its water supply. The complexities of the immigration issue persist, raising questions about the effectiveness of current strategies and the need for comprehensive, sustainable solutions. 

On the 10th of October, the second individual, aged 56, implicated in the facilitation of illegal immigration, was apprehended at his home in Northwest London.