Home Sport Keeping it cool: the joys of Snowsport Society

Keeping it cool: the joys of Snowsport Society

Eloise Grainger, Print Sports Editor, reflects on her experiences with Snowsports Exeter.
Les Deux Alpes (Eloise Grainger)

My passion for skiing and trying new things was brought to life when I joined Snowsports Exeter. During my freshers week in year 1, I was a keen bean – I eagerly bought my membership, attended every social I could across the city, and started my ski race training… and I’ve never looked back! 

Snowsports has so many benefits for me. I’m a keen skier and although I’ve skied annually with family since I was four, it was super exciting to develop my skills on a dry ski slope – which I’d never done before! I definitely noticed an improvement in my technique when I hit the slopes as I took my new skills onto fresh powder. 

Talking of the slopes, I went on the ski trip to Les Deux Alpes in France in my first year. Going abroad without family is something younger me would have never dared to do, but it was such a fun and liberating experience! From skiing all day on glacier covered mountains to partying all night long in the village’s nightclubs, it was the best experience and I recommend it to everyone! You can be a seasoned pro, a complete snowsports beginner, or just an après lover, the trip accommodates for all… and the same goes for the society in general! 

I have made long-lasting friendships and it’s a great way to meet likeminded people! The training sessions at the dry ski slope in the city is also a wicked way to keep fit and test your balance.   

As part of the ski race team, I have the opportunity to compete in Kings competitions, which is the UK’s largest ski and snowboard racing league. I’ve travelled to competitions from Cardiff and Swansea to Gloucester! Kings is more of a friendly competition rather than hardcore rivalries. It’s a great way to represent Exeter but also have some fun with it! Often there are BBQs and DJs performing after the competition concludes, so it is a fantastic way to make friends with people from different unis and get to know people better! 

(Eloise Grainger)

The community aspect of Snowsports is what keeps me coming back every year…it is a great team vibe, particularly at competitions. We often play music and games on the coach ride up to different destinations, and everyone cheers each other on when someone is competing!  

Perhaps one low point was when I crashed out in Cardiff on my second run down. After medical checks were cleared, everyone made sure I was still included in the competition and having fun! We grabbed some food and drinks and sat by the side-lines to cheer the rest of the team on and still had a great day out!  

Snowsports Exeter has something for everyone: from trying to beat your quickest time skiing or snowboarding a slalom race to trying out backflips in the freestyle training and competitions, you are guaranteed to have a great time learning new skills and pushing yourself! Aside from Kings friendly competitions, there are BUCS and BUISC competitions that run too, taking students from anywhere between Exeter, Milton Keynes, and Edinburgh! 

If going fast or getting upside down isn’t your thing but would still like to get involved, Snowsports boasts a busy social calendar. DJs such as Shy FX have made an appearance at Timepiece, club nights are often transformed into après ski themed events, and the Black Tie End of Season Dinner is not one to miss! Whether you like ice under your feet or in your drinks, getting involved in Snowsports is your best bet!