Home News New food outlets spark doubt among students

New food outlets spark doubt among students

Senior Editors, Gracie Moore and Charlie Gershinson, report on backlash against changes to food outlets on campus.
Image: Charlie Gershinson

Published in print edition 760

A change to the food outlets available on Streatham Campus has been met with mixed reviews by students.

Over the summer, there have been some alterations to the food offerings available to students in Devonshire House. The £2 meal outlet, called the ‘Super Savour Kitchen’ has changed locations from DH2 to The Terrace. Its previous location is now occupied by an Asian-themed stall called ‘Sushi Boba Poké’. The Super Savour Kitchen, which originated as a result of a student-led campaign has increased in price with the lowest price for a meal now £2.25, 25p more than previously. Other options advertised include an omelette and topper for £3.15 and a jacket and topper for £3.60. 

The movement and rebranding of the £2 meal stall comes after previous criticism that it was moving away from its original purpose to combat the cost-of-living crisis for students. Last year, Exeposé reported that some students, including some of the student activists responsible for the creation of the Super Savour Kitchen in the first place, had felt that the scheme had become commercialised due to the added costs of extra items such as garlic bread. 

Meanwhile, Sushi Boba Poke is significantly more expensive. Using an app, the lowest-priced items are edamame beans and forgotten ends, each for £2.50. The prices increase steeply from there. Six pieces of salmon nigiri cost £7 for example while the tuna dragon roll option costs £9.50. Also on offer are poke bowls, such as the £11.60 tuna poke and boba drinks each for £5.

According to an survey that Exeposé conducted, only 68 per cent of responses stated that they were aware of the Super Savour and Sushi Boba outlets available on campus. Also, 82.5 per cent of students were aware that the £2.25 pricing of the Super Savour meal used to be £2, a 12.5 per cent increase in price from last year. On the price increase, one student said they were “very disappointed in the Super Savour Kitchen. The jacket potato with cheese and beans (no salad) used to cost me £2.99. This year they are charging £4.58 for the exact same thing. Very disappointing and will make it more difficult as a disabled student to find affordable hot meals on campus.”

ON the location of the food outlets on campus, 35.1 per cent of students were not aware that the Super Savour outlet had moved to the Terrace and that the Sushi Boba Poke bar now occupies the old space in DH2. When questioned on their thoughts on the Super Savour price change, over 28 per cent of students rated their happiness with the change at one out of 10. In fact, only 13.3 per cent of people rated it at six out of 10 or above. One student said it was “beyond the price range of most students” and that the University “should work to add more budget friendly options (e.g. a bagel place).”

Sushi Boba Poke is not as popular among students and many students are questioning the need to add this new food outlet. One student said in our investigation that “the University is taking advantage of their largely affluent student population without taking others into account.” Another student said “it is very niche and specific only to people who like sushi.” Finally, a student stated that “it’s the most exetahh thing they could have done!” 

“It’s the most exetahh thing they could have done!” 

Anonymous student

This brings into question the range of food on campus, where nearly 72 per cent of students stated that they didn’t think there was enough variety, adding comments such as “need more gluten free” and “need more budget friendly options.”

In a post from the Guild officers Instagram account, they said that “this year, one of our priorities is to encourage the university to improve its food offering, from both an affordability and dietary requirement angle.”

A spokesperson for the Students’ Guild said, “The Guild and Officers have championed and supported students to ensure there are low-cost food options on campus with the £2 meal campaign. Officers worked with the University to secure the long-term future of the Dish of the Day, and this year are continuing to ensure you have affordable food options that meet your needs. 

“Whilst we are pleased to see the Super Savour Kitchen moving to the Terrace which provides more space for students to enjoy a more affordable option on campus, we continue to advocate for food on our campuses  which offer value for everyone.”