Home News Research identifies factors that support people living with dementia

Research identifies factors that support people living with dementia

A research analysis has identified which factors are linked to a better quality of life for dementia patients.

The study, published in Psychological Medicine, found that factors such as gender, education, marital status, income and wage were not associated with quality of life for those with dementia. However, mental or physical health, social engagement and high-quality care were all linked to a better quality of life. This included having good quality relationships with family and friends, being involved in social activities, the ability to manage everyday activities and having religious beliefs.

“mental or physical health, social engagement and high-quality care were all linked to a better quality of life”

Dr Doug Brown, Chief Policy and Research Officer at the Alzheimer’s Society, stated: “Maintaining a healthy social life and doing things you enjoy is important for everyone’s quality of life. As this Alzheimer’s Society funded study highlights, people living with dementia are no exception.”

1 in 6 people over the age of 80, in the UK, have dementia but many are socially isolated. This research highlights the importance of enhancing the quality of life for dementia patients, even at the earliest stages of the disease.