Home News Three Exeter Students Nominated for Student Social Mobility Awards

Three Exeter Students Nominated for Student Social Mobility Awards

Three University of Exeter students were nominated for awards at the upReach Social Mobility awards.

On Thursday 13 December, upReach hosted the Student Social Mobility Awards. Held at the House of Lords and supported by the Social Mobility Commission, the event celebrated the various achievements of students as well as the mentor and university initiatives that have contributed to the students’ successes. UpReach is a charity that supports students from less-advantaged backgrounds to access top professional graduate jobs.

The inaugural event presented 26 awards, 22 of which went to undergraduates. The Sector Awards recognised achievement in a wide range of career sectors including engineering, retail, and charity work – three students from the University of Exeter were nominated in the Banking and Finance, Law, and Retail and Consumer Goods categories. The University of Exeter was also nominated for its Access to Internships scheme in the category ‘Highest Impact University Initiative’.

The upReach Ten commended ten students who “have achieved, or have the highest potential to achieve, outstanding success academically, professionally and/or personally”, and an ‘Outstanding Achievement Award’ was granted to Tara O’Reilly, a Law student at the University of London who is also working in Parliament as the coordinator of the Labour Tribune MPs Group.

As an organisation, upReach focuses on supporting their Student Associates by offering support through their programmes that include professional help with applications and CVs, skills workshops and insight days, as well as exclusive mentoring opportunities with top employers.

For more information, see www.upreach.org.uk/ and www.ssma.org.uk/.