Home NewsLocal News University of Exeter encourages students to get COVID-tested before going home for Christmas

University of Exeter encourages students to get COVID-tested before going home for Christmas

While it is not compulsory, the University of Exeter has advised students to take a Coronavirus test before travelling home for winter break.

Source: Pixabay

In the latest registrar email, the University recommends students travel between the 3 and 9 December. This post-lockdown period, according to the email, is when “the risk of transmission should be at its lowest.” The government and University have worked with rail and coach companies to ensure there are enough spaces for booking public transport during this time. The government may impose national or local restrictions that could affect travel after the 9 December.

Any student, regardless of whether they have COVID symptoms, is allowed to book a test.

Additional testing sites will be open on Streatham and Penryn campuses from the 30 November. Any student, regardless of whether they have COVID symptoms, is allowed to book a test via the Rapid Response Hub. Testing is being carried out on campus and students should receive their results within 24 hours. Mass testing will be performed until 6 December; however, students without symptoms can still be tested after this date.

The university will provide a HALO test for students who want to travel overseas.

Students who receive a negative test can leave within 24 hours, although anyone who is extra concerned about the virus can take two tests three days apart.

Students who test positive must self isolate for 10 days and other members of the same household must also isolate until they get a negative test result or complete their period of self isolation.  Anyone who has previously tested positive for COVID can be tested again.

All but essential teaching will move online on the 4 December. Only teaching activities which require specialist spaces or facilities, including clinical placements will continue as normal.

The University will support students who choose to stay on campus over the winter break.

Based on data up to the 21 November, Exeter recorded 207 cases over the last week. 12 per cent of cases are attributed to the University with few cases linked to Cornwall’s campus.