Home NewsLocal News Exeter’s ASK restaurant replaced by new bar

Exeter’s ASK restaurant replaced by new bar

Image: Derek Harper

On 8 December, Exeter’s former ASK Italian restaurant reopened as No.5, a new restaurant and cocktail lounge.

The Grade I listed building, situated on Cathedral Green and dates back to the 16th century, has been taken over by Linda and Charles Horner, the founders of Exeter’s popular gin bar Crocketts. Named after its address, the restaurant will boast two individually themed dining rooms, with the Botanical restaurant more formal and the Cathedral View restaurant a more relaxed setting.

As well as the dining rooms, No. 5 will have a vintage, Gatsby-esque cocktail lounge and a secret garden, somewhere to enjoy cocktails throughout the summer months. Charles, one of the owners, said “No. 5 has been a real joy to transform. Anyone who has previously been in the building will know how incredible the rooms are with their spectacular period features.”

No. 5 has been a real joy to transform. Anyone who has previously been in the building will know how incredible the rooms are with their spectacular period features

In spite of the ongoing pandemic, Linda said “I feel No. 5 is a great opportunity to bring something positive to the community during what has been an unsettling and difficult time for so many. We source locally as much as possible, so are supporting many local businesses where we can.”

With the dining and cocktail experiences, Sunday roasts, afternoon teas and a Parisian style breakfast on offer, No. 5 will have something for everyone.

Editor: Ella Shadwell