Home LifestyleCulture Fluffy or crêpe: In defence of the fluffy pancake

Fluffy or crêpe: In defence of the fluffy pancake

Anabel Costa-Ferreira offers her reasons for favouring fluffy pancakes, and some of the ways to enjoy them.

Image: Luke Pennystan, Unsplash.com

As someone raised with a Canadian parent, I acknowledge I may be biased in this opinion, but surely, it is called ‘Pancake Day’ for a reason. In a world with so many serious divisive topics, it is quite comical to note the split opinions when it comes to defining what actually constitutes a pancake. If we are going to go by ingredients, they only differ by two: baking powder and golden caster sugar. 

These split opinions are perhaps even more apparent when it comes to discussing toppings. Now, for those of you solely used to crêpes, you may need a pause from reading here, when I tell you in North America the common topping is butter and maple syrup. These toppings are also more visible than the lemon-soaked crepe with dissolved sugar granules that we adore here in the UK. There is also the existence of the savoury crêpe, however, that is a discussion for another time. 

You may need a pause from reading here, in North America the common topping is butter and maple syrup

Other popular toppings include syrup, cream, fruit, and berries and of course, Nutella continues to remain a national favourite. As someone allergic to Nutella I can only say it looks delicious, but I am sure it would also combine perfectly with the American-style pancake. Personally, I will continue to recommend Lotus spread and pretend Nutella does not begin to compare. 

While I will always favour and promote the fluffy pancake, as an aspiring journalist I will remain diplomatic and continue to assess both (for fairness of course). Though, if anything, according to my research National Crêpe Day actually falls on February 2nd, so I am afraid to say you have quite a few days left to wait.