Ready Steady Bake… Lemon Drizzle!
Fancy getting your bake on? Give Lucy Aylmer’s lemon drizzle recipe a go!
During such uncertain times, food can offer precious escapism and reassuring comfort, that quarantining and lack of social engagements cannot. Beautifully moist with a glaciated frosting and garnished with lemon zest, a lemon drizzle is next on the agenda; the River Cottage Handbook’s version is a real crowd pleaser and a particular favourite of my Dads.
- For the cake
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g butter
- Zest of two lemons
- 3 eggs
- For the drizzle
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 100g granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add all the cake other ingredients using a wooden spoon (or an electric mixer if you have one!) until the batter is smooth and thick.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased or lined tin.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- For the drizzle, mix together the lemon juice and granulated sugar.
- Once the cake is baked, using a fork, prick the surface of the cake and slowly pour the drizzle over. This bake can be consumed warm or cool, both taste delicious!
A slice is best served with a pot of tea!