Home Lifestyle Learning how to relax

Learning how to relax

Niall O'Mara offers a host of ways to relax, and discusses the ways in which he is able to achieve the much sought after state of relaxation.

Learning how to relax

Image: Clem Onojeghuo, Unsplash.com

Niall O’Mara offers a host of ways to relax, and discusses the ways in which he is able to achieve the much sought after state of relaxation.

The days are getting longer, the hope of a relaxing summer just around the corner. However, for many of us multiple deadlines are looming, and summer exams feel slightly closer than we had thought. Relaxing? I don’t know her.

Relaxing? I don’t know her.

We’re often told to take time out for ourselves and do things that make us feel better or to do something to distract ourselves from the piling workload. But the question I pose is: how does one really relax? A straightforward task, all you must do is get the candles out and slip into the bath and simply let your troubles float away, right? For many of us that just wouldn’t work, and I am unaware of many student houses/ accommodation with a candlelit bath just waiting after a long day of lectures. No fear! I am here to provide a few alternatives to help relax in arguably the most stressful time of the year.

Fortunately, there are a multitude of ways one can relax, a few of these being: exercise, breathing exercises, napping, starting a new hobby, reading a new book, binge-watching a new Netflix series, or simply doing nothing. Whatever it is there is no right or wrong answer. For me personally it’s going for a walk, or a run followed by an hour (or possibly two) in my room blasting out tunes to accompany my current vibe. The music can range from Adele to Wham, it truly depends on what vibe I feel I need to truly relax and to switch off from the world around me.

Fortunately, there are a multitude of ways one can relax, a few of these being: exercise, breathing exercises, napping, starting a new hobby, reading a new book, binge-watching a new Netflix series, or simply doing nothing.

Another alternative I find relaxing is simply looking at flights, perhaps a financially unhealthy way of relaxing for a student but it brings me joy. The occasional search on Skyscanner reminds me of times to look forward to and that alone can bring peace and relaxation.

A final way is check ins! Used in my professions before the day begins. Each day just give yourself the occasional check in. See how you are feeling, if there is any tension or stress simply address it, it doesn’t need to be fixed but simply acknowledge it. Often, we all let things pile up and we don’t know when the time is to stop and relax. Check in!

Often, we all let things pile up and we don’t know when the time is to stop and relax. Check in!

There is no rule book. Do what works for you, try loads of different ways and you will find something that works.  My final message would be: breathe – you’re doing great!