Home LifestyleFood Kitchen Scraps or a Home-Cooked Meal?

Kitchen Scraps or a Home-Cooked Meal?

Kayleigh Swart shares with us another kitchen scraps meal, perfect for when you are low on time and food.
1 min read
Image: David Hoffman via flickr

The days are getting shorter and the nights are getting longer. It won’t be long until we’re waking up to dark mornings and frosty grass. After a long day of lectures and seminars, you come home, open the fridge and… it’s empty. The last thing anyone wants to do on a day like this is go to the shop. So, you have two options: order a takeaway and not have money to go out for the rest of the month or figure out something with the stuff you’ve got. There is a correct answer in case you were wondering, it’s the latter.

In times like this, I like to turn to an easy and adaptable recipe – everything fried rice. The recipe is in the name, it’s fried rice with a bit of everything. Or in this case, anything you can find. The best part of this recipe is anything can go into it, the only thing you absolutely need is rice. You can add whatever veg you have (mushrooms carrots, onion, garlic, tomato etc), fresh or frozen. Maybe some type of protein if you’re feeling fancy. Cook that all in a pan, and once it’s done add in your cooked rice for a few minutes. Season to your heart’s content, and maybe add some soy sauce, or siracha, depending on what you’re feeling.

The recipe is in the name, it’s fried rice with a bit of everything.

There you have it, a home-cooked meal made with the last scraps in the fridge. Is it the most fancy dish? Not really. But it’s filling, tasty and cost-effective, which is a success for me!