How to Spend Valentine’s Day in Exeter

by Shannon McGowan

It’s a day that comes around ever year, daunting not only to the singletons out there, but also to the couples who have to attempt to orchestrate the perfect date.

Striking the balance between romance and practicality in our little Exeter can be tricky, so here are some suggestions for a victorious Valentine’s date…

First Date

Let’s not lie – this can be an awkward one. A first date on Valentine’s Day is a bold move that can reap great rewards or be a total flop. That’s why we’re recommending the classic Firehouse date. The drinks are cheap, the atmosphere is warm, and there’s plenty going on around you to chat about if the conversation is a little drab.

Chuck in some Harry Potter trivia after a pepperoni pizza and a few cheap bottles of plonk, and you may just find the Ron to your Hermione!

Two Weeks In

You’re probably not official yet but you’ve been on enough dates to want to impress. At this point the basic chat has been chatted, the fundamental facts have been relayed, and it’s time to get to know this person better. And where better to connect on a deeper level than Exeter’s own Al Farid!

The Moroccan restaurant offers more than your bog-standard Valentines dinner – it’s a Valentines experience. Sitting in a room clad in ambient North African décor, you’ll no longer feel like you’re in the South West of England.

If you soon realise the person opposite you just isn’t the one, you can cut the date short after a few meze dishes. However, if they have proven to be quite the Casa Nova, why not head upstairs for some post-Shawarma shisha and cocktails!

One Month

“Remember – if you don’t fancy them at least you’ll have a great tasting meal!”

After chatting over the Christmas break, you’ve decided to make it official in 2017. In an effort to get a little closer why not get cosy with your partner in Exeter’s quirky Cosy Club. Not only will you be able to treat your new bae to a 3 course meal for an absolute steal of £26.50, but the cocktail menu is to die for! We’d recommend the ‘Sparkling Duchess’ – a romantic blend of raspberry liqueur, Martell brandy & prosecco.

And if the chemistry just isn’t there, you can always rely on the Cosy Club motto: “Remember – if you don’t fancy them at least you’ll have a great tasting meal!”

Three-Four Months

When you’re at the 3-4 month stage of dating you’re *hopefully* still in the honeymoon phase, which grumpy older couples can only dream of.

Therefore it’s the perfect time to make Valentine’s memories that you will reminisce about with your other half in years to come.

We’d recommend a day trip away to Go Ape in Exeter’s Haldon Forest Park where you can explore the forest canopy via a treetop rope course. Or perhaps explore a little further afield to Monkey World in Dorset, where you can meet the wonderful animals and see the amazing work the rescue centre does at their sanctuary. Whether you’re a couple of adrenaline junkies or serious animal lovers, this Valentine’s day trip is sure to make for an impressive date!

Six Months In

Not only will the insta pics make you the envy couple of many, but there’s also the opportunity for some skinny dipping spontaneity in the Devon sea…

Six months into the relationship is nearing ‘L-bomb’ territory, and you’re probably the loved up protagonists of single girls’ nightmares.

After half a year together, your loved one will be expecting thoughtful romance, and nothing says ‘I love you’ like an evening trip to Exmouth, picnic & a bottle of champs in tow, and watching the sunset together on the beach.

One Year

You’re one year in, in love, and you might want to push the boat out for this special Valentines celebration. Why not opt for a special Sunday stopover at Exeter’s Hotel Du Vin. Pricier? Yes. Worth it? We think so!

Their night-in deal includes a Valentine’s sharing menu for £100 between 2 people, including a glass of Champagne – and you get your guestroom for only £25! Slipping into matching sets of fresh white robes and slippers beats heading back to student accommodation any day.

The deal is available on Sunday 12th or 19th February, so get booking if this date appeals to you!

Two+ years

When you’ve been dating for this long you have one of two options: you can argue that you’ve done all that romantic tosh and settle down for a Nandos and Netflix sesh, or decide you need some more ‘couple time’ and do a runner from Exeter for an adventure away.

Perhaps explore more of Devon, or if you’re feeling extra rogue head over to Exeter Airport where you can get flights from as cheap as £20, with destinations from Dublin to Dusseldorf!

Singletons

I’m afraid we’ll probably all share the same fate: a mate-date and more than likely a few shots of tequila.

Don’t fret lovely singletons – we haven’t completely forgotten about you! But I’m afraid we’ll probably all share the same fate: a mate-date and more than likely a few shots of tequila. But even in that post-tequila slumber we can sleep well assured that even living vicariously through the ever so attractive, yet ever so fictional Christian Grey, will still beat an awkward date with tinder Will.

Fifty Shades Darker – Odeon Cinema Exeter, 14th February.

Exeposé is the University of Exeter’s independent newspaper. Established in 1987.

Freshers

Exhibit

Newsletter

Sign up to our newsletter